Sunday, January 1, 2012

BROOOOOOOCE

I had a feeling he read my blog and my thoughts about Clarence's absence. Now I am sure Bruce and the boys read it thoroughly because I have learned he has a new album coming out and he is going out on tour sometime in 2012. Gary: This is an early warning. I want tickets if I cannot get my own.

Also, as my forehead recedes more and more, I have begun (much to my chagrin) to look from the neck up like my father. This generated some memories of me being taken by him to have his few hairs cut by a barber who was white with a huge head of white styled hair and whose name was (I swear) Blackie. My father used some sort of red goop on his hair that came out of a clear bottle and of course, being quite the fastidious person, had his nails done at the same time. I cannot remember having my hair cut by this guy or not but I am damned sure my nails were not touched.
He also then took me out to dinner--that sums up my contact with him after the divorce--hair, nails, and dinner mostly of the liquid variety for him. Probably a case of TMI.

Two examples of why I (and now Anna) love our government especially Social Security. I got confused about the day I get my check. One early evening a week or so ago, I called the 800 number and within 5 minutes got my live person who answered my question and set me straight. Anna needed a new social security card and I took her to my favorite Social Security office--and much like my first visit,except for the staff, we were the only Caucasians. She was seen in less than a half hour and her new card arrived 72 hours later. I LOVE MY GOVERNMENT.

So the Republicans caved in on the payroll tax issue. Great---old Eric Cantor (he who is a member of my tribe) is all over the place taking credit for being bi-partisan. That phony baloney hypocrite needs to go to shul a few times on Yom Kippur and repent for all his sins. I spoke to an "insider" about the state of Ohio which just happens to have one of the most liberal U.S. Senators--Sherrod Brown. I wondered how he was doing and how in comparison Obama was doing out there in the buckeye state. He said the internal polls show Brown running 10 points or so better than Obama which is kind of scary. That while they are both liberal, Brown is much more sensitive to union and trade issues. Ugh.

My readership has increased this week. I want to welcome Jim, Graham, and Stef. They have pushed me nearly to the quarter century mark and I have the NY Times sniffing around now that they dumped a bunch of smaller publications.

Two terrific articles. In last weeks SI, a great article about the riots in Vancouver after the Bruins won the cup. While it is sports focused, it is quite a gripping story. Then, also last week in the NY Times, an article about Benton Harbor, Michigan and the socio-cultural upheaval going on there. As a start, it is in receivership and run by the state.

A couple of local notes. Some of the homeless pan handlers now have cell phones. My glass is half full side says that their programs provide them so that they have a way of being in touch in case of emergency. My glass is half empty side says that if they can afford that, why should I give them money? Your thoughts?

Bakery wars: I love the Blue Frog Bakery but it does not have slicing machine and I butcher bread when I cut it. But it is local and I like the guy who runs it. Now we have the Flying Pig which does slice the bread but is part of a chain. they swear they bake the bread daily and ship it down from Maine or NH. What to do?


SPORTS TALK

So I just finished watching the Pats win home field throughout. I am so confused about them I don't even know where to begin. Against the Broncos, the Dolphins, and now the Bills, they were so bad for a quarter or a half--then boom, lights out the rest of the way including defense. Today down 21-0 at the end of the first quarter and then they shut out the Bills the rest of the way. If they score 35 or more every game, I think they could win it all. But there is one good defensive team (perhaps 2) in the AFC and that's Baltimore and they could be trouble. In the NFC, the 49ers have the only good defense. Playing either Green Bay or New Orleans, the score collectively could be in the 80's.

It is way too early to worry about the Celtics but they have looked old and that's as much as I will say.

Except that James Harrison's hit on McCoy was horrific and I really think he should have sat out the rest of the season. It was so clearly head hunting that, given his history, he got off lightly.

Hope all of you have a healthy and peaceful New Year.
Sayonara.

No comments:

Post a Comment