Monday, July 16, 2012

FOURTEEN FUCKING YEARS

I don't even know where to begin.  Except let's be clear there is a connection between the Penn State cover up and football.  And lets also be clear that the ex-President of that fine university continues to occupy a tenured professorship in some department on that campus--so he is still around.  And lets further be clear that the Paterno family is either out of touch with reality or in denial of reality or in cahoots with reality--because they continue to believe Joe Pa is not involved.  Only thing is, he was more powerful than the ex-President and any other staff person and intimidated the Board and brought in tons of money.  And lets be clear that at these big UNIVERSITIES (and I include Michigan in this) football programs (and basketball programs to a lesser extent) support all sorts of things including the athletic implications of Title IX.  And then there are the kids--not just victims of a pedophile but victims of institutional abuse not so different than what occurred within the Catholic church.  This kind of male dominated fiefdom subject to very little outside inspection and warped by some crazy sense of sexuality.  In fact, lets further be clear that this is about men and what they do to children.  It boggles the mind.

Have to move on to what seems much less important thoughts in no particular order.
--Mr. AG and Luce read the blog while in Italy.  My first international experience.  Very exciting.
--Ever have a friend for 60 years.  Know what that means?  Know what that feels like?  Fuzzie would say it feels like the cool side of the pillow.  Lilli would say it is comfy cozy--it is that and more.  Seeing Charles and Myra in Newport was that "more" thingy that I have no words for.
--Was in a pizza place in Walpole last week.  That is south of here but not south as in Alabama except for the photos in the place.  The nickname of the teams at Walpole High are the "Rebels".  Though I saw no signs of the flag, what is that about and what is it like for African American athletes at the school or on visitor teams to play when they see that shit.
--As of this moment Nate Silver still has Obama winning in November and winning some key state like Ohio and Virginia.  Have to keep away from his blog since watching too frequently is not good for my mental health.  But he has to be read.
--What does it mean when the pharmacist at CVS knows me by name?  Kind of scary that I am on more meds than Barbara's mom who is in her 90's.
--The Mitter is being battered by this Bain business which is very flimsy but mainly relevant because he and his team seem unable to respond consistently and seem unable to make it go away.
--Ric Perry and a bunch of other bright light governors won't implement the Medicaid options in the Health Care bill not just because they think Obama may lose; but also because they are not sure everyone should have the same coverages that they have.  It is pathetic.
--But as role models I present to you the Boehner (he who has a perpetual tan) and Cantor (he who is a member of my tribe) show.  They orchestrated a vote to repeal the Act.  And surprise it passed the House and now will die.  It was a fool's errand and these fools are actually infantile fools unhappy with THEIR Supreme Court.  I am beginning to realize the control of the Senate is as important as Obama winning.
--And Scottie of course is one of those who has made it clear he will vote for repeal--even though he used one of the Act's first pieces to get coverage for one of his kids who had no job.  Menino remains on the sideline--despicable even if he fixes potholes with expediency.
--Anderson Cooper is gay and Babs knew that just like she knew about Barney--who had his wedding a week or so ago.
--If it is about jobs, I worry.


SPORTS TALK

Andy Murray strikes me from afar as a big whiny baby--you knew he would lose to Federer.  He is just not there.  I am winding myself up for my every two year super patriotic USA USA chant and mentality.  With all my wonderful cable channels, I will be fully occupied beginning 7/27--can hardly wait for those team handball games which I don't understand and which will be covered probably at 2 A.M. our time on one of those channels.  The Youklis trade was a good one.  Though for the life of me, I have no clue about Ray Allen's decision.  The only conclusion I have drawn is that it was meant as a slap at the Celtics.  He will be playing the same role with the Heat that he would have played here--except of course they may win the championship again.

Now about those Yankees since it is after 7/4.  I really believe good pitching beats good hitting so I am not prepared to anoint them as anything here in the heat of mid July.  I will say their bullpen has been terrific, Cano remains a top 3 MVP candidate, and there is no explanation for how good Jeter is hitting.  I am starting to believe he could get to 4000 hits.;

That's it.
Sayonara

No comments:

Post a Comment