Saturday, December 15, 2012

WORDS, DON'T FAIL ME NOW

But they likely will because I cannot put my thoughts/feelings into words which adequately describe yesterday's massacre in Newtown.  My first thought:  As a parent, I sent my kids off to school and never ever thought I would never see them alive again.  How can that be understood?  Second thought:  I was with Oliver and Lilli last weekend.  I walked Lilli to the bus and accompanied Jess to Oliver's school--I am sure neither Jess nor I ever had the thought that this was the last time we would see them alive.  Third thought:  More gruesome than the first two, I thought that this small town probably did not have enough child sized caskets to deal with the tragedy.  There are not final thoughts since I will not get closure on this ever.  I can say this:  I don't want to hear any talking heads telling me how to interpret this 5 full minutes after it occurred.  I don't want to see any more memorials with flowers. I don't want to hear from instant diagnosticians who did not know the perpetrator but can diagnose what his "illness" was.  I don't want to hear from the NRA.  I deeply respect Obama's words and, if you saw him yesterday, you know he felt this as a parent first; and as President second.  What did he and Michelle say to the kids?  What did any of you parents say?  I have no clue what I might have said.

I am not sure where to take this except I do have more to say--maybe just itemize some odds and ends?

--Last week in Kansas City, a professional football player murdered his girlfriend and then committed suicide in front of a group of his coaches.  More guns, more flowers, more memorials, and then Bob Costas (on a sports program mind you) had the temerity of raising the issues related to gun control.  And of course got slammed by all sorts of people. The instant diagnosticians were out in force on this one also.

--I did have a terrific time in Philadelphia with Jess, Steffen, and the kids.  Mostly just followed them around and through all their activities and celebrated the first two nights of Hanukkah while there.  They go to Germany this coming week for the Holidays and to spend time with Steffen's family.  These bi-continental lives are very hard. The really interesting news is that in the spring Jet Blue will begin flying there and finally offer USAir some serious competition.

--Susan Rice "withdrew" and I am trying hard not to believe Obama gave her more than a slight hint that it was a good idea.  Those fucking Republicans continue to act like they won the election and that their main goal is to limit any of Obama's possibilities of success.  McCain and Graham need to be kicked to the curb.  Now if Kerry is selected, we will have another damn election here and will face the prospect of Scottie running again. A pathetic and ugly happenstance.

--Speaking of Kerry and the Republicans, a vote to approve an international treaty supporting the rights of the disabled lost because the Republicans saw it as just another UN kind of thing.  One of a handful of countries which failed to support it--wonderful.

--More about the Republicans.  I love their in-fighting over the direction of the party.  and I fervently hope that this self injurious process is self defeating in 2014. They hate Medicare but always forget about granny collecting it.

--Not sure about that fiscal cliff craziness.  But I am sure the fools in DC should be able to resolve it--it is not brain surgery.  But both sides seem determined to a duel in the sun and some Republicans just want to see what happens.  Hello!

--Elizabeth did get on the Banking Committee.  Please tell me why it became an ordeal.  She is probably more qualified than any other Senator but we had to have a BIG DEBATE  about it.  Give me a break.

--The folks living on the Cape want federal money to put up signs warning visitors about sharks.  Wait til the Tea Partiers see that--wait til I see that.  Better idea:  Just put two signs up--one on each bridge and tell folks that sharks swim in the water.  Done.

--Lost a filling and thought just refill it.  But nooooooo--now will have two root canals and a crown and also lucked out with an infection in one of the teeth.  Fast Eddie, my dentist, says it is age.  Just another doctor telling me that certain body parts are wearing out.  Terrific.

--Read a non-fiction book by Katherine Boo recommended by Babs about the "slums" of Mumbai.  Cannot quite remember the name--something with "Forever" in the title.  Engrossing but so depressing.  One more reason why I never ever want to go there.  Sorry since I know a few of my readers are connected to, if not from, India.

--Garry Trudeau has resurrected his "Duke " character in the Doonesbury cartoon.  Duke is based on Hunter Thompson who committed suicide some years ago.  Duke is now working for a DC lobbying firm and his project is the secession of Texas.  Now everything is going swimmingly until he realizes that Austin is in Texas. And he does not want Austin to be lost. Oh Anna I am glad you will continue to be part of the U.S. of A.  Has to be read.

SPORTS TALK

--I warned all of you about Don Fehr--and don't give me any pro union arguments.  Talk about a cliff.  This will be Bettman' third work stoppage in his tenure.  Fehr and Bettman are a terrible twosome.
--The Blue Jays, Dodgers, and Angels have loaded up and spent some serious bucks.  And the Red Flops signed Napoli--he of the .228 and .237 batting averages.  And my pinstripes down there in NYC seem hell bent on signing the oldest players available.  We shall see.
--We all know Bounty Gate was real and that the facts are irrefutable.  I don't care what the players say or Tagliabue says or the coaches say.  They did it.  Period.
--I would not have predicted how the Pats manhandled the Texans and now I am not sure what to predict tomorrow night against the 49ers.  I do know a bye will help and it would not surprise me if they finish first.

Merry Christmas to those of you who celebrate it.  Happy 8th night of Hanukkah to those of you who celebrate that.  And really, for all of us, think about Newtown and the grief of the parents and the survivors.

Sayonara

No comments:

Post a Comment