Wednesday, October 16, 2013

WHO'S ON FIRST?

Yeah, yeah I stole the title from Abbott and Costello. But if you remember that sketch, then you know it perfectly fits the current muck up in our nation's capital.  Or, if you follow Jon Stewart, you can call it the 2013 "Shutstorm"--as opposed to shit storm which it really is but which he cannot utter on TV--but I have the luxury of using here.  Because it is a SHIT STORM.  I will give credit where credit is due--those Tea partiers in the House are true to their roots (I happen to detest the ground those roots are in)--they will not bend and it is ok if Obamacare is over turned and it is ok if we default.  Even more mainstream conservatives (like Jeff Jacoby in today's Globe) cannot see any damage done by the shutdown.  He must not need any of those experimental cancer treatments which have been put on hold.

Speaking of health care (what a transition, huh?)--we might as well just divide up this state into two hospital systems--Care Group and Partners.  Every hospital and every health center.  Life will be much easier.  These "non profit" behemoths are just taking over anyhow.  St. E's is only around because of its Catholic affiliation and BU Medical is around because of its commitment to the urban core of the city.  But it would not surprise me if Tufts bit the dust one of these days.  After dividing us up, they can go after some other states.  Let me tell you that bigger is not always better even if we are told it will reduce their costs.  But guess what--the Insurance companies (the same men and women who fought the Affordable Care Act) have finally figured out they love it because they have more customers and some of them are young and healthy and will stay with the companies for a long time.  They are quite pissed that their House Republican buds want to gut it when it is making them money.

Janet Yellen will be the first woman to head the Fed (a rhyme to spice your day).  We can partly thank my own Senator--Warren, that is--for kicking Larry Summers to the curb and advocating for Yellen.  Five minutes after the announcement of her appointment, that bright light Richard Shelby, (Alabama's Senator) decided she might not have the skills for the job.  He cannot even play in her sandbox--thats how stupid he is.  But then again, he is from Alabama and they all know more than the rest of us.

Odds and Ends:  That PBS documentary on the NFL and how it has handled concussions was both disturbing and excellent.  ESPN pulled out of its sponsorship under (what may have been) pressure from the NFL.  This is very scary and if anyone has a child playing Pop Warner football, I would pull him or her out right now. 

Under undue and enormous pressure from 4 of the women in my family (and you all can count so you know who the culprits are) I broke down and got an I phone which I hate but caved in and got.  The only upside so far was that I was able to follow the Patriots game this past weekend while on the train.  I do make a point of talking on it while I cross the street oblivious to all cars.

Mildred and Yvette continue to hang in there and Oliver had a birthday--hoorays all around.

SPORTS TALK

I hate college coaches.  They are pro wannabes who get in the faces of 18 year olds and treat them like shit.  Some of their behavior is nearly abusive--yet we all idolize them and the $$$ they bring into their schools.  The suck up commentators who kiss to the game are equally offensive.

If I am the Yanks there is no way I give Cano $300 million--and I love the guy.  Let him go at that price.  I hate those red flops but do admit they are more fun than those beer swiggers from last year.
And somehow, I think ARod is going to get a lighter "sentence" which is too bad--he should really be kicked down the dugout steps.

How to figure the Pats?  They were pathetic against the Bengals and superlative against the Saints.  Without Welker, Hernandez, and Gronkowski, they are 5-1.  More injuries on top of more injuries.  If I were me, I would worry about the Jets.

But hockey is back and boy do I love it.

Great fans in Houston cheering when Matt Schaub, who they hate, lay in pain on the field.  Oh Texas--like Alabama--one of those football first states with just wondeful politicians as well.

Sayonara

No comments:

Post a Comment