Wednesday, April 16, 2014

YOU PIERCED WHAT?

So, one of those big silver birds delivered us to Turks and Caicos for a week of fun and sun.  I was neither the oldest nor the chubbiest guy on the beach--though it was close on the chubby spectrum.  One of the least comfortable questions consistently asked of me is:  "if you are retired, what do you need a vacation for".  It really leaves me itchy and scratchy and feeling as if I have to explain something which is kind of indefensible. But the truth is that it is different when you are out of your house, sitting on your ass, having a cocktail at 11 in the morning, and not having one fucking errand to run.  So tough; but still uncomfy.  Oh, about the piercings:  one woman had an eyelid pierced and another had the space between her breasts pierced.  No offense, but the first one was especially gross.  We had a great time.  Moving on.

The Globe had a terrific and lengthy story about the Richards family early this week--not so coincidentally, the paper got a Pulitzer for its 2013 Marathon coverage. The Richards were at that Marathon and one of their sons died; their daughter lost a leg; the mother lost an eye; the father lost hearing in one ear; and while the remaining son was virtually uninjured, god only knows what it has done to his mental health.  The article had us in tears. Yesterday's paper came wrapped with a two page picture of the survivors.  Overwhelming.

But then there is this from the same paper.  Their religion writer (who has yet to write one word about religions other than Catholic) had a lot to say about Lent.  And the Globe also had a "feature" about ravens. I look forward to the return of the great white sharks and their front page pictures.

Those of you who read every word of this screed know my driveway empties onto a one way street.  I have gotten very good about anticipating bike riders coming right at me as they ride the wrong way (being that I am a great and flexible human being).  So imagine my surprise to see a SUV coming right at me just like the bike riders--and not even pretending to be on the right side of the road but coming right down the middle.  I pull over and slow down.  As he passes me I give him THE EVIL EYE.  He flips the me his middle finger and motors on.  I remain beyond speechless in the "what the fuck" category.

Other items:
--The mess in the Ukraine is getting messier and messier and I have no clue.
--In Errol Morris' recent film which I have not seen, both Rumsfeld and Cheyney appear and continue to deny any culpability about their lies.  We are very lucky both are gone especially Cheyney who is very scary.
--Republicans, bless their heart, are still fighting the Affordable Care Act.  They also blocked the equal pay bill and the extension of unemployment benefits.  I hope this continues right up to the fall elections.
--Saw two members of the Pussy Riot group on TV.  We just don't know what political bravery is in this country and it is not Rush Limbaugh.  These women are heroines.  Plus parents!!
--Oklahoma passed a state law denying municipalities the right to raise the minimum wage--really who would want to live there.
--Is there any reason adults continue to be called either Butchy or Junior?
--10 days until my reunion--I am loading up on my meds as we speak.  What if one of these unrepentant Southerners wants to discuss Marc Rubio?
--Be strong, Norma.

SPORTS TALK
--Glad the Bruins finished first overall but the Red Wings have me worried.  I was thinking anyone but them.  Any day Jerry York and his hockey team loses is a good day for Boston and America--bye bye you Eagles.  However, the "double" performed by UConn was very special and to think they have done it twice recently.  I don't suppose anyone wants me to summarize the stats of Seguin, Kessel, and Thornton--huh?

Sayonara.


No comments:

Post a Comment