Tuesday, March 1, 2016

MY NUMERICAL AGE NOW BEGINS WITH A 7

Oh my.  In my head, I am still down there in Miami playing ball at Coral Way Elementary with Charles, Gary, and David.  All of whom shall also be entering their 8th decades in the coming months.  Good luck with that. This past week has shaken me up not because of anything bad happening but because I can see the darkness (not the light) at the end of the tunnel.  My immortality fantasy is just that--fanciful.

 But I have good health.  I have a terrific partner and two strong articulate adult daughters.  I have two gorgeous grandchildren and a mensch of a son-in-law.  I never thought I would be this lucky. I have friends who take me out to lunch after driving 75 miles out of their way on their way to Bernie's state.  I have a brother-in-law who baked a scrumptious low fat cake and a sister-in-law who (along with her husband) will be taking me out for dinner.  Life is good and I have vowed to enjoy it and squeeze it as long as I am able. Enough.

Items of perhaps interest:
--As my granddaughter would say, in the olden days Castro came to power and hundreds of thousands of Cubans came to Miami.  They were welcomed by our country and immediately provided with all sorts of benefits.  This scenario is repeating itself as Cubans stranded in Central America for many years are being welcomed into our country and immediately receive all sorts of benefits.  I do not begrudge their freedom or the benefits they receive..  I do get angry that the "real" Central Americans and the Syrians cannot get into this country and are vilified by Cruz and Rubio who are sons of that first batch of Cuban immigrants.  Oy, and the Donald.
--Campus sexual assaults (those that are reported) are becoming more and more prevalent.  Tennessee, Baylor, and Vanderbilt are just the latest examples of male athletes being accused of sexually assaulting female students.  This is the price we collectively pay for the adulation we have for sports in general and football specifically.  No one up here in the North understands the hold football has on the South.
Friday Night Lights" touched on it a bit but did not even come close. Plus, there is more than a touch of race underlying most of these situations.
--People in the Live Free or Die state (that would be NH) should be embarrassed that they supported the Donald in such large numbers.  But then again, today is Super Tuesday, and he is likely to even beat Rubio in Florida.  After much debate in this household, I voted for Hilary.
--Mitch McConnell, that mealy mouthed Senator, will not let the Senate even hold hearings on the Scalia vacancy and now will not let hearings be held on the closing of Gitmo.  I fear Obama waited too long to close Gitmo but I do not like being held hostage by that McConnell asshole.
--Go figure:  Trump takes on the Pope and there was no outrage even among the Bishops in the United States.
--Ben Carson believes Obama was raised "white".  How can that guy ever have graduated from college let alone Medical School.  He is an absolute idiot.
--Also, go figure:  how can lactose free ice cream have cream?
--Clarence speaks.  In the absence of his mentor, Clarence Thomas asked questions yesterday--literally the first time in a decade.  Real comedian, that Clarence.

SPORTS TALK
It is so much fun watching the Celtics.  They play with energy and each of them wants the ball to take that last shot.  Crowder, Bradley, Thomas, Turner--they all have ice in their veins.  As opposed to the Bruins who barely have blood flowing.  Brady gets signed until he is 42 and the fucking stupid talking heads are not sure it is a good idea.  I think the best idea is for me not to listen.

Adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment