Saturday, October 27, 2018

THIS MORNING I WAS IN A SYNAGOGUE ENJOYING A BAT MITZVAH

Then we went to a restaurant for a wonderful lunch and I even had a beer made by the monks in Spencer, Ma.  When I got home, I learned that while I was celebrating, Jews in Pittsburgh were murdered.  Other Jews in the same synagogue were seriously injured as were 4 police officers who rushed in at great risk to get the gunman and protect other attendees.  It was a bris for fucks sake--a celebration for the birth/naming of a child.  Coming into who knows what kind of world.  Me wondering what I can explain to grandchildren.

Don't tell me we need to have armed guards in my synagogue.  Don't tell me about the Constitution and the right to bear arms.  Don't tell me that the possession of an automatic weapon is protected by that Constitution.  Just don't.  They have made this very personal--those people hate  me and my tribe. Just don't.

Our former President (and let's not quibble about this ) sang Amazing Grace with the congregants at the Charleston church (as Joan Baez has sung).  What will this President do?  So far, he has told us that our synagogues should have armed guards.  Said the same thing about schools after the Parkland massacre.  Houses of prayers and schools once were safe places and now they are targets.  Innocent people--adults and children-- are slaughtered.

The context of course is the language of our President.  He is verbally fomenting fringe elements of his base.  He denies responsibility for anything and has no human empathy.  Don't tell me I should be compassionate--that I should try and understand and reach out to his supporters.  I won't and I can't. Just don't.

We returned last Saturday from our self guided and self planned tour of the Civil Rights monuments, memorials, and museums in the South--Montgomery, Selma, and Birmingham.  This South was way different than the South of my childhood.  These places continue to deal with the legacy of slavery and the subjugation and frequent murder of African Americans.  The places we went to were profoundly sad and deeply moving.

Now there will be other "memorialized" places in the Charleston AME church, Parkland High School, and the Tree of Life synagogue. I don't want anymore memorials. I don't want to understand.  I just want my leaders to step up and not be silent.  Be brave and not be chicken shits who want to be re-elected.

Enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment