Friday, December 31, 2010

BEREFT

I think in high school we learned about words like bereft. Words that sound like what they mean--onomatopoetic or something like that. I obviously got the concept but not the spelling. In any event,I have been bereft since Tuesday when Jess and her family moved to Philadelphia. I dare say Barbara shares those feelings but this blog is about ME. I know many of you have had kids go to college (our own dear Anna is in NYC via Ohio), deaths of loved ones, job changes, and other difficult transitions. I am not implying this one is worse than those but it is happening now and it is happening to me (and Barbara and the Helmling family). I know I can drive there, fly there, or train there. But it is not Hyde Square and it is not 5 minutes away. I know that even if I complained about some of those early morning calls requiring an extra pair of hands,I am going to miss the school pickups or the daycare deliveries or simply the spontaneous lets have dinner together offers. I am also aware this is not permanent. But I have had the following AHA moment--it is a transition not just for them but for me. We have to adjust and have already begun doing that--our living room has a vacant hole in the middle because we gave them a bunch of furniture so re-decorating is on the agenda. Kind of a symbolic hole, no? And we have decided to try and bring them, Anna, and others up to the Berkshires next summer so we can spend time with them. We already have tickets to fly down in mid-January. Bereft. Enough.

FACTS ACCORDING TO ME

How can it be that the Republicans were so oppositional and recalcitrant for two years and then the week before Christmas, all this important legislation gets passed with their assistance. Did Obama do something different? Did the election force some things to get done? I did not ask and I am not smart enough to tell. All I know is that the treaty passed, don't ask was repealed, and that tax bill which I still don't get but the guy from the Atlantic has assured us is good--that passed.

I also know that I have enough paranoia to believe the Republicans are teasing me personally. That their intention is to block anything decent for the next two years and run on that. I have already seen enough and heard enough from He Who Has a Perpetual Tan and He Who is a Member of My Tribe--neither are bright lights and both are in charge.

My brethren in Israel continue to make life miserable for the Palestinians and continue to allow the building of settlements. I know not what to do except whine and complain about them and Netanyahu in particular. I despair.

The little men with little machines and shovels were out in force during the recent snow storm even shoveling a path from our front gate to our front door. Oh the joy and oh how my monthly condo fee is worth every penny even if no more snow arrives.

SPORTS

I think Brady has played at a level that very few players ever get to--it is just unworldly and even if they don't get to the Super Bowl, we have seen (especially the last 7 games) a very special performance. On the whole, I am a worrier and worry that this will come to a crashing end.

Speaking of which, the Celtics dodged a crashing end when it turned out Garnet's injury was not season ending and I am now thinking it is not so bad having him take two weeks off. Much like the Pats--it will heal his bones.

The Bruins never see an open net that they can hit. It is so pathetic watching them on offense. No one can score.

That's about it. Hope all of you have a happy, healthy, and peaceful 2011. Be well.

Sayonara.

No comments:

Post a Comment