Friday, July 29, 2011

WELL, OUR BAGS ARE PACKED AND WE'RE READY TO GO AND OTHER HIGHLY PERTINENT INFORMATION

Have to imagine Mary Travers singing that line. We head out to Monterrey tomorrow--that would be in the Berkshires not Mexico. I missed it mucho last summer and was determined to return. Turns out , a number of others agreed and so a cast of thousands (ok, perhaps a handful) will re-assemble to play games, eat too much, and get a big dose of a varied cultural menu. In advance of that, I have some assorted (but highly relevant and crucial) information to share.

Determined as I am to use local resources and in spite of Thalia's departure (you remember her, right?), I returned to the JP post office to check on something. Was third in a very short line when I got there. In no short order, the line extended nearly to the door and was occupied by the usual eclectic blend of JP residents. I was then 4th having given up my spot (being you know that great humanitarian--the same one who gave the kid a foul ball)to a woman who proceeded to yak my ear off about the debt business. Then lo and behold, the only clerk disappears and does not reappear . A second clerk arrives and the first person to go up has a HUGE PROBLEM which can only be solved by the second clerk's disappearance. Now, no one is there and every so often the youngish manager sticks her head around the corner to see whats up. Clearly not enough for her to help out at the counter because she disappears. I leave.

Go to get my car looked at in advance of the trip west. My man at the station (in JP) is off the charts angry because a older guy he knows (older than me for god's sake) is worried about not getting his social security check--yup, like the woman in the post office, we are back on the debt issue. But this is where it gets interesting. He starts off expressing outrage that someone who has worked his whole life will miss a check. Then, without skipping a beat, he is off on what we "give" to immigrants who are here illegally. Now I have to say this guy has been here awhile but is not native born. Then that light bulb goes off and I realize this is who the tea party appeals to--angry angry people who want simple answers and see no contradiction in yelling about the checks not coming and then moving onto "illegal immigrants". Oh my, he did a great job on my car but my head was baked--it was one of those ugly hot days as well.

Two fine women, Elizabeth Warren and Sheila Bair, have lost their battles not just with Congress over re-nominations but also with Geithner who is starting to look like a twerp/bully if you can be both. They did great jobs and Obama let them go rather than fight which is starting to become a theme. I worry very much about Warren running for Senate here and losing but I would work for her in any case. Anyone hear from Senator Scottie on anything lately. I think he is hiding.

One of my out of state readers (there are multitudes of them) believes the passage of the same sex marriage law in NY is more important than what happened in Mass. despite us being first (Hello there NYC--we did go first) because NY is so much more important in terms of the rest of the country--point taken and accepted.

Felt awful about Myra Kraft (and I am still not sure why it hit me that way) though hearing about Mr. Kraft taking a "break" from sitting shiva was kind of dopey. You don't take breaks from that. Some screwball from the Boston Herald was at her funeral and tweeting updates about who he saw. yuk.

Ditto about Norway's massacre--and I do believe the right wing over there in Europe is getting more and more out of hand.

The cemetery visit was on the short side though important. Its been 25 years and obviously the acute sadness has passed--I was just 40 when my mother died. She is buried with her sibs and lies a short distance away from her mother--my grandmother who I never knew. It was good to be there with Babs. Ane yup we loved the lobsters.

A really bad sign that Boehner (He who has a perpetual tan) could not get the votes he needed because of the right wingers in his party.

SPORTS

Big debate rages among readers (or at least one reader) about Cano vs. Pedroia. But how can anyone whose nickname is "Pedey" be better. What a pathetic nickname--compared to "Big Papi"? Not even close. Those first 3 red flop batters are just wonderful hitters. Gonzalez reminds me of Mattingly. Pitching wise, CC Sabbathia is just overwhelming despite looking a tad overweight.

Belichik must be brighter than the rest of us. Taking on two head cases like chad and albert makes me think he is fully confident in the positive locker room culture of the team and, second, that if either crosses some imaginary line, they are gone. The talking heads believe he is a genius and has nothing to lose. We shall see.

Sayonara--and as the song says--"See You in September".

No comments:

Post a Comment