Thursday, September 1, 2011

HAVING AN EMPTY MIND MAY BE AN OK THING

I am aware of how lucky I am to be retired. But contrary to popular opinion, retirement is not the same as being on vacation. Being on vacation means not seeing a newspaper for days on end; it means not watching one tv show let alone CNN or even Jon Stewart; it means eating very bad things at very odd times; and it also means NO ERRANDS. Had great weather in a new spot--the town of Monterey which gave us a whole new orientation from being in Lee. Our focus became Great Barrington where I could see myself living--got up "north" to Lenox just twice and one of those trips was to Tanglewood. Anna takes a train from NYC which lets her off in NY just across the border so it is very convenient for her. Jess and the kids were there for 3 or so weeks and Steffen joined us on the weekends. Susan and her family, Steven, Eve, and assorted hangers on also came and went. Hectic at times but a fine time.

Returned to Irene and the attendant hysteria. These meterologists--I am not sure how to criticize them though I want to and will. We want them to predict these things (and snowstorms are part of this) and warn us. But there is almost a joy they get from all the hype and from standing on a beach as the waves crash in. Reporting it is hard enough but they seem to "Kvell" (that would be yiddish for taking pride or joy in something) in how bad things are. And I swear I will never watch the Weather Channel again--they are the worst offenders though I did see a guy on ABC discuss how Irene was targetting 5th Avenue in Manhattan and its course would put it directly on that street. Give me a break.

All that crap about the debt is over (not that i ever really understood it since everyone has credit cards and isnt that the same thing except on a larger stage?) but not the Republican's distaste for Barack. Boehner reallly dissed the office (let alone the person) by forcing a change in the date of the speech so we could all watch Rick Perry. The government's Office of something or other checked its records and could not find another instance of not honoring a presidential request. Barack seems so weak kneed so often--I just hope he has a plan and it is better than mine since I still believe he and his folks are smarter than me.

And get this--you know that big prayer rally Rick Perry had in Houston. Financially supported by this group from Tupelo, Mississippi which believes the freedom of religion clause in our constitution applies only to Christians. I want him or Michelle to win. That would be a big favor to me personally.

Retail stores were unundated with buyers in advance of Irene but then the Globe reported they were pissed that it negatively affected return to school purchasing. This in the face of a "major" hurricane with all sorts of hysteria around it. What, they wanted folks to buy sump pumps and pencils. People sometimes should just shut up and take things as they are. Ugh.

Please let Elizabeth Warren run. I will sign up immediately to work for her (especially since my gig at The Home is over). I just worry that I will be backing another loser though she will be very different than the white guys currently representing us.


THE INSIDE
I realized that much of this stuff I write is about what is going on out there in the world with very little about what is going on in here--in my head or my soul as it were. Now this is a risk and none of you may be interested and, if so, let me know and I can delete you right out. But I am going to try and share a bit.

Saw "The Help" which I really liked and had an aha moment in it. I remembered having a maid in Miami before my parents divorce--I believe her name was Mary. I remember it was pre divroce because I used to drive with my father to take her home. Had no car after the divorce. The movie really resonated for me and perhaps for anyone else who grew up with signs reading "colored only".

Starting to worry about my short term memory--could not idenitfy the word for cookbook last week so I referred to it as the thing with recipes. Scared the shit out of me. Frustrates me as well.

My self perception is so out of whack with the perception others have of me that I am not sure what to do. I want to run away and hide when I get feedback about how family members perceive me and my behavior.

Have to move on.....

SPORTS TALK
Come on Pedey for a nickname? Like that old tv show "Lassie". Pedey is a dog's name not a person's nickname. Maybe June Lockhart is in the Red Flops dugout looking for Timmy or Tommy or whatever that kid's name was. But dont worry--being on the SI cover will screw him up big time. By the way, anyone notice Jeter is closing in on batting .300. And Cano will likely drive in 100 and score 100. Nor even close.

But this is a misdirection. If I were a fan of either team i would worry big time about starting pitching. The yanks have one (CC) and the flops have two (Beckett and Lester)--and then it is time for prayers.

Hoping Mr. Brady and the boys rebound tonight or else Belichik might start spitting blood.

Also hoping The Wolverines do better with this new coach so that my ugly memories of RichRod will fade.

Thats it.
Sayonara

No comments:

Post a Comment