Thursday, September 15, 2011

IT'S ANTHONY WEINER'S FAULT

OUTSIDE
First of all, there would have been no special election if Weiner did not have the same disease as a lot of politicians which is egomania coupled with "I'm special". Then a 70 year old beats an Orthodox Jew for a lot of reasons one of which he is perceived to be stronger on Israel. OY--Obama better get a move on.

Boehner announces that this super debt committee cannot discuss taxes even before they start meeting--no response from Obama. He simply cannot negotiate everything. Some things require that you step on the neck of the opponent. James Carville sounded a big time alarm today and suggested Obama start firing people if only for symbolism. Jon Stewart showed clips from Obama as the "negotiator" and Obama as the "leader" and the differences were amazing. And your humble servant believes it's stepping on the neck time to show he is the leader. Even when he led, as in the jobs speech, the Republican's silence, if not indifference, was deafening. A great, but depressing, article in the recent New Yorker by George Packer about what has happened since 9/11 in terms of the political discourse--There is simply no common ground anymore and each party has just given up on certain states and/or issues.

As an aside, is Wales part of England or a separate country or is it kind of like Scotland? I just don't get it.

Going to Cuba in January which is very exciting and probably means we will get there before it turns into Las Vegas South. It's a trip with the narrow focus of connecting to the remnants of the Jewish community there--but it is CUBA and I will get to see the Malecon and the rest of Havana. My major question since I quit smoking cigars is whether or not I can have just one cigar without a full scale fall off the smoking wagon.

INSIDE

A reader wondered if I was struggling with my mortality--first of all thanks for the question (don't get many) and the answer is yes and it is a struggle that has been part of my life (!) since adolescence. Hard not to now when there is more behind me than in front of me. My fantasy is that I have a neighbor who is a physician/friend and who examines me daily for all the terminal illnesses I imagine having. Then I could probably relax but I am not even sure about that. Plus I would need attention in the middle of the night when the god awful nightmares hit.

One of my current goals is to be able to take a solo trip on my own for a number of days. Have not quite pulled it together but must do it--probably take my fantasy physician with me!! Have been immobilized by fear every time I approach it.


SPORTS
OK, I do believe the SI jinx is alive and well as "Pedey" slowly falls apart and Cano now (among other things) is leading the league in RBI's. Oh by the way, anyone notice Jeter is flirting with a .300 batting average. I should add that I don't believe either team will win the AL--I believe that it will be either Detroit or whoever represents the West. Both my boys and the red flops have falling apart pitching which will hasten their departure. I would like to thank Charles and the rest of the Blue Jays for what they did at Fenway this week. Three thoughts on the US Open (that would be tennis): I want Sharapova to stop grunting each time she hits the ball; I want Roddick to quit sweating so profusely; and most of all I want Nadal to quit pulling out his wedgies in full view of the camera. I happen to like Nadal but detest Djokobvic due to some of his more right wing political thoughts about the war in the former Yugoslavia.

But Mr. Brady and the boys were pretty good and the defense will get better. Otherwise, the Chargers will eat them up. And oh my--those mighty Wolverines in front of 114,000 in the big house--kicked Notre Dame right down Interstate 94. Loved it.

That's about it. If you celebrate it, l'shanah tovah (that would be happy new year for any non believers). Peace.

Sayonara.

No comments:

Post a Comment