Wednesday, November 16, 2011

ENRAGED BUT NOT SURPRISED

Rather coincidentally, i found myself watching a documentary (part of the Boston Jewish Film Festival)last week just as the Penn State repugnancy was spilling out. More of a coincidence was the fact that the documentary was about the Orthodox Jewish community of Baltimore and a number of its rabbis who have been sexually assaulting adolescents for years. Then, there was this--more or less slipping under the radar--in the last few months male coaches training young women in both gymnastics and swimming as part of the U.S. Olympic training process have been fired wholesale for sexually molesting the young folks in their charge. And lest I forget, there is the Catholic Church. All I could think of was the title of a recent TV show called "Men Behaving Badly". Which is an oversimplifications and does not do these events justice. But it is men (very few women) who are in positions of power and authority and both abuse their positions and then abuse the young people. And all of the events are treated as idiosyncratic when in fact they are part and parcel of the same thing. Men (remember Woody Allen, anyone?)who consistently use their power to satisfy their sexual "urges". I am not smart enough to figure this out though it is also connected to the work I have done in the past. Men in positions of authority in families who similarly abused the young people in those families. There is more than something wrong here--this is related to how we men are raised and what we are taught and how we may have been been victims ourselves. In the end, treating these events as if they were unique misses the whole point. Until something is done earlier in our lives, we will continue to say "oh my, isn't that awful" and then move on. We do not respect children and until we really do, we will see another story like this next month or next year.

So I was wondering how Jon Stewart would play this one. Wisely, I believe, he stayed away from it until last night and then got at it only indirectly. Turns out Sandusky (the perp at Penn state--no need for me to use the word alleged) decided to call into Bob Costas on an NBC TV show. Costas was sitting with the guy's lawyer for god's sake who presumably supported this conversation. Well Sandusky's lawyer, as it turns out, sexually assaulted and impregnated a young woman (below the age of consent) when he was 49 and then Sandusky sputtered when Costas (to his credit) directly asked him about the shower incident. Just "horseplay"--I thought Stewart would have a coronary.

Speaking of Elizabeth Warren (I was, wasn't I?), we saw her at an event in Roxbury this past weekend. She was quite the thing greeting each and everyone of us at the door and getting herself introduced by a recently elected African American City Councilwoman. She said all the right things to an audience of "right ons" and "whistles" and applause. I really liked her but of course have to add two concerns. I thought 3/4 of what she said, Scotty would have agreed with. Plus, her total embrace of unions left me a bit uneasy especially in Boston since I think the Boston Teachers Union is terrible. I just don't buy "all unions are good" position. Overall, I do hope she gets to be a bit more angry when Scotty is across from her. Then I remind myself that it is a year away.

On the same topic Doonesbury has got one of the character's grandmothers coming to Boston to work for Warren. The grandmother is living with her granddaughter who will be her driver. It is just terrific to see how these generations do or do not get along in the comic strip.

Congrats are in order to Allan and Lucy who have become grandparents. The baby is lucky to have those two around for help, support, and love. And belated congrats to Stef and Graham who are getting married. Very exciting and I am especially honored since they have asked me to lead the ceremony. All of us are very happy to all of them and their extended families. Kudos also to a certain Texan for settling in and managing such a large transition much more smoothly than I could have--cannot name the person since (s)he craves anonymity.

BTW, Whole Foods has opened here in beautiful JP but it is more like a mini version of their other stores. I was dying to cross a picket line the first time I went but no such luck.

SPORTS TALK

Since last we chatted, the Pats have lost to one NY team and beaten another. After the loss, for the first time in my memory, the Brady/Belichik love affair with the media started to show cracks. After the victory, all the critics went into hiding. There does seem to be some consensus that Brady has an injured throwing arm but a fool like me could not see it in the second half this past Sunday. Otherwise, I watched a news conference that Belichik is required by the NFL to hold--he absolutely intimidates the media. You have to see it because it is hard to describe except he has that look which says "I dare you. you assholes". And if you dare, you get a one word answer. I will say that if you look at the rest of their schedule, they should end up with 12 or 13 wins and a bye. The real question for me is if the defense over that time will coalesce.

Bye Bye Pap. Your nickname was the second worse on the team next to little ole "Pedey". I say, as a non Red Sox fan, that you can be replaced and Cherington was correct in not overpaying for a head case like you who basically has one pitch. As a balanced reporter, I will also say that Posada should not be brought back and may have done the Yanks a favor by saying so himself.

If Michigan had a QB who could throw, they might be undefeated. As it is, they will get to a good bowl game. BC--ha ha, going nowhere and I could not be happier.

That's about it. For those driving next week, good luck. And Happy Turkey Day to all.

Sayonara.

No comments:

Post a Comment