Thursday, November 3, 2011

NOW I KNOW WHO ANN COULTER IS

I had only heard about her but now, thanks to my best bud Jon Stewart, I have actually seen and heard her. Stewart is going to be FANTASTIC between now and next November no matter who runs or who wins. He already is terrific just covering the crazy Republicans. So, in one of his recent eviscerations of the Herminator, he ran a video of Ann Coulter defending Herman by saying: "Our blacks are better than their blacks". Said on some sort of Fox show in defense of Herman's sexual harassment history. I cannot believe those words came out of any one's mouth in such a public way. Stewart was beside himself wondering if Eric Cantor was a better "Jew" than Joe Lieberman. If you cannot stay up too late, he has repeats on Comedy Central during the day--I know not when.

Alan Khazei must have heard me. He dropped out of the race for the Senate by taking a few mild swipes at Ms. Warren. But he now must be beating the bushes looking for the job I always thought he should have considering that he has done next to nothing since City Year. And we also have this guy Flaherty running for City Council--another person with no life and no job who only runs for office as if it were a full time occupation. I am totally confused still about what District I am in but I don't think I get chance to vote against old Charlie. But I do wish him good luck as he trudges along directly behind Khazei looking for those real jobs.

Then we have those Republicans who went after Barack because we are getting out of Iraq (as he promised for god's sake) and because we did not take the lead on Libya. There is nothing worse than spoilsports and these guys are real experts at it. Nothing will pass as a success. Even that great American soldier McCain had a few harsh words for these two issues. He needs to go back to Arizona and guard the border.

Anyone see the profits of Exxon/Mobil. I cannot count that high. The more we pay for gas the more they make. It is obscene but since no energy bill will pass, nothing will change. I am still not sure what to make of the "Occupy" folks but I kind of feel like they are bobbing in the middle of the ocean and being pulled this way and that by tides--not by a sense of direction. And yet I still find myself associating them quite closely with the Tea Partiers.

After being here 3 years, I may actually have warmed up to our neighbors down the path. I never made friends with neighbors on Walnut Street and overall do not have great social skills (anyone surprised?). But it has been nice to have Barbara and David right down the way who I can schmooze with, go out to dinner with, and have them know we might be out of town. They both come from similar professions as well. I am working hard to be a "good neighbor" in the best sense of the word. Nonetheless, for me, it is also about old friends. I have known Charles since kindergarten and Myra since the fabulous 60's. Having them here and spending time with them was like being in a cozy chair with armrests and an ottoman--easy and comforting.

Just returned from Philadelphia visiting Jess and the kids (Steffen was away)for Halloween. Everyone must know this is Barbara's favorite holiday but not mine. So she got to traipse around and I got to dispense candy. Lilli has turned into a terrific swimmer and Oliver is a warm independent kid. Great to see them all and great to see how good the parents have parented.

Meanwhile, Anna is on the ground in Austin and did a marvelous job dealing with the move, and getting there, and figuring things out, and not sweating the small stuff. She has a great apartment with a balcony, pool, and a/c--crucial down yonder. Very proud of her.

Speaking of which she turned me on to the series called "Breaking Bad". Barbara refuses to watch it but I am in love with it. I am not even sure what it is all about but it is very good.

Just finished the latest George Pelecanos novel. Another terrific artist who does to Washington DC what Robert Parker did to Boston. He also happened to write for Homicide, The Wire, and Treme. Such skill.

SPORTS

Did not watch one complete game of the World Series but saw just enough to know that a lot of it was bizarre and that both teams deserved to win.

don't you think it is quite providential that Lackey needs surgery? He may never come back.

Theo fired his manager right away which seems kind of cruel but at least it was quick and decisive. He had better take the long view over there in Wrigley because the Cubbies right now suck.

Michigan's last two games are against Nebraska and Ohio State. They could end up 10 and 2 which is way better than expected though I still think Dennard Robinson is too erratic to carry them much further.

Mr. Brady and the boys are really struggling and even though my theory is that Belichik knows more than me, what he has done to his secondary is totally mystifying.

That's about it--oh yeah, Whole Foods has opened and I am hoping I get to cross some sort of picket line so I can buy some of their pricey veggies one of these days.

Sayonara.













No comments:

Post a Comment