Wednesday, October 31, 2012

WORDS, DON'T FAIL ME NOW

I'm not sure how to put into words some of the pictures I have seen of NYC, NJ, and then the blizzards of WV.  The "easiest" way is, rather typically, to make it about me.  I am not sure if it was in the late 40's or early 50's--I do know it was pre-divorce and it was while we were living in an apartment in Miami's Northwest section---for those of you familiar--close to NW 54th St, and 1st Avenue.  Big time hurricane blew the roof off the apartment.  We spent the night in the Knotty Pine bar and being of age I got drunk--no no that's not true nor is it the point since I was obviously a wee small tot.  The point is these events are horrific and even though this time the hysterical weather people were right on target, in many ways it does not matter how well prepared you are.  Bad things are going to happen to mostly good people.  For me (since this is about me), the ultimate irony is this:  while in VISTA, Barbara and I lived a block from the same location and even went to the bar for a drink or two.  No hurricanes that year.  I do hope those of you in the path of sandy are ok.

Moving on--four years ago my colleague BG and I had our monthly lunch and I shared with her my great anxiety about McCain and Palin.  She reassured me/told me not to worry. Told me Barack would win.  Went home and felt much more relaxed and of course she was correct. We were supposed to have lunch last week but she had to cancel so I have had to spend the last week calming myself which is way too hard.  On the other hand, my boy Nate and his algorithms have not wavered especially since about 10/18--since then, he's got Obama ahead by almost 2% nationally and ahead in almost every swing state poll.  So I find myself actually a bit calmer than I have any right to be--which of course makes me wonder why--which of course leads to being anxious about being calm.  Get it?

Forgot to mention this a while ago.  During the week of 10/8, Donnesbury ran about a week's worth of strips imagining the Mitter doing his Mormon mission in Paris.  Absolutely hysterically funny as the Mitter tried to get this cigarette smoking French guy to give up wine and all other terrible things.  Oh my--Trudeau is still going strong. Jon Stewart has been all over the Mitter as well but has had no shows this week because of Sandy.  But the last two weeks he has been terrific.

Obama did wake up during the last two debates and kicked some serious ass especially when focused on foreign policy.  I kept thinking of Sarah Palin telling us she could see Russia from her office which qualified her for Veep.  Romney was in the same position and I personally resent how he has adopted my tribe in his campaign.  This election is not being held in Israel and if it were, it is not clear to me he would win there either.

Some more bits and pieces.  Ann Coulter is not apologizing for using the word "retard" to describe the President of the United States.  Not apologizing to him or to those with developmental disabilities she has slurred.  She is a fucking idiot and if her hair was not straight and blonde, I am pretty sure she would be working in a 7/11.

The little twerp Adelson and his twerpier wife just gave the Mitter 10 million more.  I hope he goes bankrupt over this but he is sitting on top of mounds of gambling money and there is no end to it.  And the guys on Wall Street now hate Obama even though he saved their asses.  And the Mitter is out there in Ohio trying to explain how the auto bailout was his idea.  He is fucked.  Scary that he and Ryan (if they won) would get a number of appointments to the Supreme court.  If that doesn't scare you (and if i did not mention it before)read Jeffrey Toobin's book about the Supremes.  We are all still waiting for Clarence to ask a question.

Jessica sent me a Times op-ed piece by Roger Cohen about Cuyahoga County/Cleveland and the race for Senate which is splitting the Jewish community--Sherrod Brown the incumbent is wonderful but is running against a conservative (very conservative) Jewish guy who of course is playing the Israel card all over the place.  The community is in big time conflict over what to do.  Great article.

Enough.

SPORTS TALK

Ozzie Guillen got fired which is not surprising.  When you hire Ozzie you should know what you are getting--a loud, outspoken, in your face manager who happens to be very good at managing.  So the firing was not a surprise.  What should concern all of us is that part of the firing was due to his temerity in suggesting that the fall of Batista was not a bad thing and Fidel actually had a good idea or two.  Bingo--those old right wing Cuban farts went off.  That is part of why Ozzie was fired.

Justin Verlander pretty much says this:  give me the ball; I will throw 100 or more pitches; I will be throwing as hard in the end as in the beginning; and I will just keep chucking.  Now, of course, he lost in the series but the guy is special. The Yanks lived and died by the home run.  I just hope they get rid of A Rod.

You Red Flop fans miss Scutaro?  Bob Lobel would be saying "why don't we get players like that"?  He was like Bobby Richardson when the Yankees played the Giants in the 60's.  So hot and always coming through.  You do realize that Sergio Romo throws in the 80's.  He's not like our old friend Pap blowing people away but also blwoing saves in the process.  All Romo does is throw strikes and confuse hitters. Abe would be a happy man today.

The question about the Pats is have they really turned the corner or are the Rams just plain bad?  In theory, they have two tough games left--Houston and SF both at home.  Otherwise, they should run the table if they can keep their heads on straight.

Sayonara


No comments:

Post a Comment