Monday, January 30, 2017

I HAVE BECOME INARTICULATE

The words do not exist or, more likely, they are not in my vocabulary.  We are barely 10 days in.  By my not so great math skills, we now have 1450 more days with the man who shall not be named (the math: 1460-10).  How can I sustain my rage, my sadness, and my embarrassment?  I know this:  I have few if any readers whose relatives either came over on the Mayflower or are Native Americans.  That means all of us are descended from immigrant families.  I sure am--Russian and German.  Remember where you came from way back when.

On Holocaust Remembrance Day, he issued his nasty immigration executive order. Very clear message for me.  Made me think of the St. Louis being turned away sending its passengers back to a likely death in Europe.  Made me think of Ellis Island and remind myself that I am a first generation American.  Made me think that my father's family was not welcomed here and ended up in Brazil.

Where to go/What to say:
--Do not normalize one fucking thing he does.
--I do not accept alternative facts--as Chuck Todd of NBC said, such "facts" are really just lies in fancy words. Kelly Anne and Steve Bannon are very dangerous and need to be watched. Closely--neither was elected to anything but seem to be in charge of the flaming orange head.
--Read anything written by Charles Blow in the NY Times.  He is another of us Eastern liberals but has a way bigger vocabulary than me. There are other very articulate voices out there--find them.
--Root for Lindsey Graham and/or John McCain to open up their mouths and not just shuffle along behind the emperor.  Ditto for Susan Collins.
--Give money and your time to anything and everything but be sure to conserve your energy--1450 days is a long haul.
--The EPA nominee does not believe in climate change and the HHS nominee wants to gut Obamacare.  Perfect.
--No sports talk this week in spite of the Super Bowl.  However, bless my heart, I do have three disconnected final thoughts.
     1.  Good on those folks who went to JFK airport over the weekend and the lawyers in NYC
          and Boston who went right to court and got temporary stays.
     2.  The Michigan football coach makes about 7 million a year--his two chief assistants just got raises to 1
          million a year.
     3.  In my ongoing effort to ultimately weigh 400 pounds and eat my way out of this bleak landscape , I               have downloaded the Domino's app and the McDonald's app.  Yum.

I am with you all in spirit--Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment