Sunday, May 31, 2020

MIAMI

Grew up there.  Left there after high school graduation.  It has been on my mind as the tension and violence ripples through the large cities of America.  With fake ID's, we used to head to the "CND" and its night clubs. Back then, now more than 50 years ago, we would go to the "Central Negro District" to listen to James Brown, Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding, Sam and Dave, and others.  I am not trying to establish some credibility here.  I am trying to say that Miami is on my mind as the confluence of the virus and the violence erupts around me.  This quote from Chief Headley in 1967 (I was already physically gone):  "When the looting starts, the shooting starts" has set me off on this nostalgia trip. A quote appropriated by POTUS and used in reference to the protesters he called "thugs".  Already felt helpless and immobilized by the virus--now feeling doubly so as protest turns into violent chaos--to steal a phrase used by the mayor of Atlanta. I feel as if the 60's changed everything and nothing.  The guys with automatic weapons walked into the capital of Michigan and there was no collective outrage.  Were we/you/us serious?

Some other items:
--POTUS claims he is taking hydroxychlorine (I don't even believe that) based on no science and no medical facts.  Wonder how many of his supporters have followed suit.  Supplies of it have run low and people who really need it are having trouble getting it.
--Lebron produced a one hour commencement show for 2020 HS grads.  At the very end, Obama spoke and epitomized what being a leader is all about.  No one could imagine POTUS reading those words let alone saying them.
--Renee Graham in the Globe of 5/20:  "we are the home of white fragility"..and that was before we saw the ugly videos of a white police officer with his knee on the neck of a handcuffed black man.
--And where is Rudy anyway?
--Twitter, his favorite mode of communicating, sets some mild limits on his lies.  His response is to escalate the fight with social media and attempt to limit their power.  All of which has me more sure of never ever posting a word on Facebook,  Mark Z. is a grandiose power hungry robot.
--John Roberts just sided with the 4 liberals to rule that churches/houses of worship can be closed during the virus.  And, I think, some people thought Kavanaugh would be a moderate?  Not likely.
--Not missing sports as much as I thought I would.  Am loving German soccer--the Bundesliga.
--Please do not hold up Dr. Birx as an exemplar of someone moderating POTUS.  She is just an exemplar of scarf selection.

Two less intense thoughts:
--Amy Shumer has a cooking show with her chef husband that is just hysterical and yummy.  Monday nights.
--Watched a You Tube concert with the Dropkick Murphys.  Guesting was Mr. Bruce from Asbury Park.  Played in an empty Fenway Park.  I played it as loud as possible and forgot many of my troubles.

shalom

No comments:

Post a Comment