Saturday, December 31, 2016

"STUCK INSIDE OF MOBILE WITH THE MEMPHIS BLUES AGAIN"


Stolen from Dylan obviously though I remain a bit pissed that he blew off both the Nobel committee and Obama because he was "too busy".  On the other hand I always thought this lyric referred to a mobile--you know the kind a baby has above their crib.  Somehow, I missed the fact/idea that it referred to a city in that god forsaken state of Nick Saban and the Crimson Tide (look it up).  Let's start with the soft and easy--kind of like slow pitch softball.

--The Globe as usual outdid itself this past two weeks with BIG TIME animal stories.  First, an aggressive coyote was spotted in Brookline causing the local gendarmes to suggest that kids travel in groups.  I am surprised the schools were not closed for the duration.  Then, the lead today was about Cod.  This despite the disasters going on all round us.
--Someone, please tell my wonderful Senator Warren that she does not want to run for President.  She needs to stay where she is and continue to be a thorn in every one's side especially the person whose name will not be mentioned.
--A sportswriter in the Times moved over to become the editor of the obituary pages.  Confirming for me that some of the best writers are in the sports sections of papers--sections which tend to be financially strong for the papers.
--Lindsay Schnell of  SI.Com wrote a great piece on the Oklahoma quarterback who sucker punched a woman and is still playing college football.  Defended by the coach.  Football in the South and Southwest is simply a culture un-understood by those of us up here.
--A series on Hulu called "Horace and Pete" started out quite humorously and then moved right into some very dark territory.  The strange thing is that it was written by Louis C.K.  who I do not even like.  He starred in it as well.  Disturbing but excellent.
--Speaking of disturbing, the Netflix movie "13"--about the rise in prison populations especially among young adults of color.  Ugh--and likely to get worse in the coming 4 years.
--Over the last 2-3 weeks, I have had the most touching and intimate conversations with 3 long standing friends/relatives that I can remember.  They strengthened me in terms of the historical ties I have with them.
CN, a friend from kindergarten, and I discussed our childhoods in a way that I could not do with anyone else on the planet.  JC, a cousin, and I wrote and spoke about families in a way that I do not remember doing with other relatives.  RS, a colleague, thanked me for something that I never thought was so important. These three (and my own family) give me the strength if not the courage to deal with the upcoming 4 years.  Which leads me to....
--The increase in anti-semitism and racist behavior is directly attributable to the man whose name will not be mentioned--if only because he does not criticize it.  He who has an Orthodox Jewish son-in law and daughter. It is as if he has given permission to the hate mongers to come out of hiding and join the mainstream.
--His appointment as Israeli ambassador is disgusting.  He opposes a two state solution, he wants to move the capital to Jerusalem, and he is a strong supporter of Netanyahu.
--Dershowitz and his crew were all over John Kerry who, in turn, sharply went after Netanyahu and the whole right wing Israeli government.  The Dersh is an ego maniac with no sense of balance in terms of the Middle East. He was joined by all sorts of American Jews who can hardly wait for the guy whose name will not be mentioned to take over.
--Be careful if you have insurance via the Affordable Care Act.
--I HOPE YOU AND YOURS HAVE A HAPPY, HEALTHY, AND PEACEFUL 2017.

SPORTS TALK
--I knew Michigan would lose last night and can only hope Harbaugh can pull it together next year--but they do not do well against those faster Southern teams.  Mr. Thomas went off for over 50 last night--and yet I was left feeling like they should have blown out Miami but they struggled.  I am of the opinion that home field is important to the Pats and that is why their game tomorrow against the fish is important.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment